zaterdag 16 januari 2016

A dive into Scandinavian literature

In the eighties of last century I studied Scandinavian languages and their literature at the University of Amsterdam. In those years we had to pick a main language before starting the first year, and mine was Swedish. In the second year we were supposed to make another choice, between cultural studies, language/grammar science and literature study. I took up the latter, as a frequent reader of fiction.

With great joy I immersed myself in learning Swedish and taking all kinds of related and mandatory classes. However, I liked the sound of Norwegian a lot, so I learned that language as well, and I ended up taking quite some classes in Norwegian literature, next to many more ones in Swedish literature and drama.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor strindberg  My professor, no longer among us, had a phd degree in drama studies. I saw many    Scandinavian drama productions in the theatres of Amsterdam in  those days, by    Strindberg, Ibsen, Lars  Noren, etcetera.  Good times. Great bonding experiences.
 One year after his passing his two daughters have invited the Scandinavists to his library, giving us the opportunity to buy some of his over 1000 books at a very  reasonable price.


 (Picture portraits August Strindberg, borrowed from Wikipedia


With two of my former co-students, now friends, we'll go there this afternoon. Pure nostalgia. Looking forward to take a last look at the books, and I maybe even use the opportunity to buy one or two.
During my studies I bought various Swedish and Norwegian novels, for the pleasure of reading them, and for the literature classes. My favorite authors are: Strindberg (his drama works), Ibsen (especially Peer Gynt), Jonas Lie, Tarjei Vesaas, Ivar Lo Johansson, Harry Martinsson, Vilhemn Moberg, Goran Tunstrom, and Knut Hamsun. I also like the Stig Larsson trilogy, and other contemporary writers.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten