donderdag 4 februari 2016

Continuing the job search - a plea for a basic income

The manuscript editing, the contract proposal review and the creation of the backcover text have all been taken care of. My to-do list for this week with regards to book publishing is now empty. I always enjoy checking off action items.

So I had some spare time to hunt for income sources again. I started scrolling through the job web sites, and did not find any relevant vacancies. Then I remembered the open job posting for professional blogger that I had noticed before my holiday and which has my interest. And I applied. Hopefully I get lucky!

I wouldn't mind working for a while in a non-interesting job, but my educational level is too high to be eligible for even an interview. I do of course send out applications for such jobs now and then, with a negative result. When I request an explanation, I usually get the information that due to the enormously high amount of applications, the employer is able to pick exactly the candidate that he/she is looking for, with the optimal experience, age (they don't say that of course) and educational level. One time I received a notification that the employer did not even have the possibity to go through all applications; they just selected a part of them and went through it.

The job market in the Netherlands for 50+ (and younger) people is so extremely tight these days, mainly because of the structural automatization and outsourcing effects, that I would like to suggest to the government to seriously start considering a basic income, at least for the unemployed.
Switzerland is considering a basic income for all inhabitants, Finland is studying the possibilities for it, and in the Netherlands some cities are on the edge of experimenting with a basic income.
Can't wait for an introduction of it in Amsterdam!!


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten